Wednesday, September 04, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Last week in Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer, Mercer and FGCU collected key wins vs. SEC opponents. The Bears set their sights on two more SEC programs as they face Auburn on the road and host Tennessee.
The Eagles currently hold the longest unbeaten streak at three games as their only loss came from NCAA tournament team, Florida.
Jacksonville goes head-to-head with an SEC opponent as they will take on Georgia on Friday at 7 p.m. EST in Athens, Ga.
A-Sun Women's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunWSoc):
- The Bears win vs. Alabama was the first win for Mercer over an SEC opponent since 1999. Lauren Gassie led the squad with a goal and a game-winning assist to earn A-Sun Player of the Week Honors.
- Kennesaw State's Jewelia Strickland is tied for the most career assists with Mercer's Lauren Gassie and North Florida's Carolina Lencina of the active A-Sun players with 13 total.
- The Dolphins' Kaitlyn Bassett leads the league with four goals this season. Bassett has netted 17 goals in her career which ranks third among active players.
Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Offensive Stats
| Katrina Frost, Kennesaw State (21)
|| Carolina Lencina, North Florida (13)
|| Katrina Frost, Kennesaw State (47)
| Lauren Hopfensperger, North Fla. (20)
|| Jewelia Strickland, KSU (13)
|| Lauren Hopfensperger, North Fla. (46)
| Kaitlyn Bassett, Jacksonville (17)
|| Lauren Gassie, Mercer (13)
|| Carolina Lencina, North Florida (45)
| Carolina Lencina, North Florida (16)
|| Casey Barrett, Mercer (12)
|| Kaitlyn Bassett, JU (39)
- UNF's duo of Lauren Hopfensperger and Carolina Lencina have combined for a career total of 91 points making them the highest ranked pair from an A-Sun school.
- Lipscomb's freshman goalkeeper Anna Buhigas collected two shutouts for the Bisons last week to earn A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week accolades. Buhigas leads the league in save percentage (.857) this season.
- Northern Kentucky secured its first win of the season with a 1-0 victory against Tennessee Tech. Allison Ponzer tallied the first goal of the season for the Norse. NKU will carry that momentum as they face Morehead State on Friday at 7 p.m. EST.
- Stetson's goalkeeper Victoria Troccoli has 83 career saves and ranks fourth of the active players in the league.
Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Goalkeeper Stats
|GAA (<1,000 min.)
|Maggie Cropp, Mercer (0.580)
||Sarah Plantz, USC Upstate (222)
||Brittany Brown, FGCU (11)
|Brittany Brown, FGCU (0.701)
||Brittany Brown, FGCU (107)
||Sarah Sierra, Jacksonville (8)
|Sarah Sierra, Jacksonville (0.959)
||Sarah Sierra, Jacksonville (84)
||Megan Dorsey, North Florida (7)
|Nikki Atkinson, Mercer (0.994)
||Victoria Troccoli, Stetson (83)
||Maggie Cropp, Mercer (6)
- FGCU's Brittany Brown has the most career shutout of the active A-Sun goalkeeper with 11 total. Brown is tied for the most this season with two shutouts in four games played.
- ETSU has six different student-athletes with one goal this season.
- USC Upstate will start a six-game road swing with matches at Furman and Presbyterian this week. Upstate and UNF are tied for the most games on the road this season with ten games scheduled.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.