Wednesday, August 28, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Four Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer squads remain undefeated after the first week of action. Teams look to take that momentum into the second week of play with Mercer, North Florida, Stetson and USC Upstate going 1-0-1 in the opening week.
Kennesaw State has a strong weekend of action with two ranked opponents on the bout in No. 12 Duke on Friday and No. 1 North Carolina on Sunday in the Carolina Nike Classic in Chapel Hill, N.C.
A-Sun Women's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunWSoc):
- The Bears face four SEC opponents in a row starting with road games at Georgia, Alabama and Auburn before they return home to play Tennessee.
- North Florida's Lauren Hopfensperger and Carolina Lencina are second and third in the A-Sun for career goals of the active players. Taylor Gillepsie and Keara Murphy lead the league in career starts with 61 a piece, starting every game of their career.
- ETSU takes on VMI in the Buccaneers' home opener on Friday at 7 p.m. ET. The Bucs are 20-6-1 at home over the last three seasons.
Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Offensive Stats
| Katrina Frost, Kennesaw State (21)
|| Carolina Lencina, North Florida (13)
|| Katrina Frost, Kennesaw State (47)
| Lauren Hopfensperger, North Fla. (20)
|| Jewelia Strickland, KSU (13)
|| Lauren Hopfensperger, North Fla. (46)
| Carolina Lencina, North Florida (16)
|| Casey Barrett, Mercer (12)
|| Carolina Lencina, North Florida (45)
| Kaitlyn Bassett, Jacksonville (15)
|| Lauren Gassie, Mercer (12)
|| Bassett, JU / Wacker, FGCU (35)
- Lipscomb's Ellen Lundy tallied seven points vs. Alabama A&M on Monday with three goals and an assist. It marked the most in the A-Sun since October 21st, 2012 and set an LU record. Lundy leads the league in both goals and points after the first week of play and her hat trick was the first for the Bisons in their NCAA era.
- USC Upstate got off to its best starts since joining the A-Sun going undefeated in the opening weekend of action. With a win vs. VMI (2-1) and a tie vs. Wofford (0-0) the Spartans will travel to UNC Asheville for a Thursday contest followed by a home match vs. Coastal Carolina on Sunday on ASun.TV.
- Jacksonville's Kaitlyn Bassett netted two goals for the Dolphins in their last two games to earn the first Player of the Week Honor of the season. Bassetts' two goals vaulted her to 35 career points which ranks tied for fourth of the active A-Sun players.
- Stetson has not lost a game in 2013 so far after going 2-0 in exhibition play and 1-0-1 in the first weekend of the regular season.
Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Goalkeeper Stats
|GAA (<1,000 min.)
|Maggie Cropp, Mercer (0.394)
||Sarah Plantz, USC Upstate (222)
||Brittany Brown, FGCU (10)
|Brittany Brown, FGCU (0.728)
||Brittany Brown, FGCU (97)
||Sarah Sierra, Jacksonville (8)
|Sarah Sierra, Jacksonville (0.911)
||Sarah Sierra, Jacksonville (84)
||Megan Dorsey, North Florida (7)
|Nikki Atkinson, Mercer (1.01)
||Victoria Troccoli, Stetson (78)
||Maggie Cropp, Mercer (6)
- Northern Kentucky's Tanner Ruberg earned Defensive Player of the Week Honors after a 13 save performance vs. Murray State. Ruberg leads the league with a .929 save percentage.
- FGCU's Brittany Brown recorded her tenth career shutout with a 5-0 victory vs. Albany on Sunday. Brown leads active players in the league for career shutouts.
- Last season, the Owls went 5-1 on the road with their only loss coming from the 2012 A-Sun Champion FGCU at Fort Myers, Fla.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.