Friday, October 26, 2012
MACON, Ga. - The 2012 Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Championship kicks off Friday with two first round matches between Kennesaw State and North Florida as well as ETSU and Jacksonville. The Buccaneers and Owls play host in the opening weekend.
Both games start at 7 p.m. EST and can be seen on ASun.TV for free.
A-Sun Women's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunWSoc):
- In five of the last six A-Sun Championships, a first round match has been decided by penalty kicks. The better seed has advanced to the semifinals in three of those six occasions.
- Home teams are 1-2-3 in the past six A-Sun Championship First Round matches. Stetson picked up the lone win in 2009, but the home team has advanced in two of the last three penalty kick showdowns.
- Only one first-round match has been decided by more than one goal in the past seven A-Sun Championships (2008).
- The lowest seed to ever win the A-Sun Championship was fifth-seeded Jacksonville in 2006. Last year, Mercer advanced to the A-Sun Championship Final as a six seed.
- The top-seeded team has appeared in the last five championship finals and has advanced to the final match in every championship except for the 2006 tournament.
- Kennesaw State’s Katrina Frost is the first A-Sun women’s soccer student-athlete to tally back-to-back double-digit goal seasons since Stetson’s Tessa Gavilsky (2008, 09). Frost has 10 goals this year and scored 11 last season.
- ETSU’s Ramey Kerns retook the national lead for goals this week by moving her season total to 20. Kerns’ ranks seventh all-time in the A-Sun single-season record books for goals and 12th for points (44).
- Jacksonville is appearing in its ninth-straight A-Sun Championship - the longest streak among current A-Sun teams. The Dolphins are 5-6-4 during the streak and won the 2006 title. JU has advanced to the semifinals in six of the past eight tournaments.
- Last year, North Florida earned its first A-Sun tournament win with a 1-0 road victory at Belmont in its second tournament appearance.
- The Ospreys feature three of the top-five goal scorers in the conference as Carolina Lencina, Lauren Hopfensperger and Michelle Larrinaga have combined for 54 career goals.
- Jacksonville’s Becca Massip and Mercer’s P.A. Upson are tied for the most career starts amongst active players with 76. The duo currently rank tied for 17th most all-time and will move into 14th with their next starts.
- Kennesaw State or Mercer has reached the championship final in each of the past five tournaments. The two teams meet for the A-Sun title in 2007.
- Kennesaw State and Jacksonville are tied for the most A-Sun Championship title amongst active teams at two. JU has appeared in the most championship finals at five just ahead of Mercer with four.
- ETSU’s Sarah Zadrazil, the A-Sun Freshman of the Year, is tied with FGCU’s Ashley Ciesielczyk, the A-Sun Defensive Player of the Year, for the most assists in the A-Sun with 10.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.