Friday, October 19, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Last weekend, all six spots in the 2012 Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Championship were clinched by ETSU, FGCU, Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, Mercer and North Florida. However, no team locked in their seed for the conference tournament as one through six are up for grabs in the final week of play.
Mercer and Kennesaw State hit the road to take on Stetson and FGCU, while Jacksonville and North Florida host ETSU and USC Upstate. Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky square off on Saturday in the final contest of the season for the two teams.
A-Sun Women's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunWSoc):
- The host site for the A-Sun Championship has yet to be determined and likely won’t be decided until Sunday as only six points separate the above mentioned teams. The team with the most points will host the 2012 tournament.
- Kennesaw State’s Katrina Frost tallied four goals in two Owl victories to win the A-Sun Player of the Week. Frost scoring outburst moved her into second place amongst active players for career goals with 20.
- ETSU Ramey Kerns’ 15 goals are the most in the A-Sun since 2007 and fourth-best total in the last eight seasons. Her next goal will tie her for 20th-best single-season mark in A-Sun history with four others.
- Jacksonville and FGCU are both home this weekend and both teams are tied for the longest home unbeaten streak in regular season conference play at 16 contests. The Dolphins are 13-0-3 in A-Sun home matches since their last loss on Oct. 2, 2009, while FGCU is 15-0-1 in home conference matches since their last loss on Oct. 3, 2009.
- Lipscomb goalkeeper Erin Zerio owns 341 career saves - good for eighth in the A-Sun career record books. With one match remaining in her career, Zerio could pass Stetson’s Andrea Garrvaglia (2007-10) for seventh place with 350 career saves.
- Zerio and USC Upstate goalkeeper Sarah Plantz have racked up 101 and 100 saves this season respectively. Zerio ranks 12th nationally for total saves just ahead of Plantz in 13th.
- Mercer is currently on a 10-match unbeaten streak at 8-0-2. It is the longest unbeaten streak in the A-Sun since FGCU went 9-0-2 from the end of the 2010 season to the beginning of the 2011 season.
- Jacksonville’s Becca Massip and Mercer’s P.A. Upson are tied for the most career starts amongst active players with 74. The duo recently cracked the A-Sun career record books for starts in 25th place.
- FGCU’s Ashley Ciesielczyk tallied her ninth assist of the season in the win vs. Stetson to push her career assist total to 27 - the eighth most in A-Sun history. With her next assist, Ciesielczyk will tie UCF’s Amy Jones (1993-96).
- The A-Sun has a chance to have four double-digit goal scorers for the first time since 2008. This year, Ramey Kerns (15) and Shannen Wacker (10) have already reached the mark, while Kennesaw State’s Katrina Frost (9) and Danielle Gray (8) aren’t far off the mark.
- By clinching a spot in the 2012 A-Sun Championship last week, Jacksonville has appeared in eight-straight conference tournaments - the longest current streak in the A-Sun.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.