Thursday, October 04, 2012
MACON, Ga. - After two weeks of women's soccer conference play, FGCU has emerged as the A-Sun leader with four victories. However, not far behind the Eagles is Jacksonville, Mercer and North Florida all with seven points and undefeated records.
This weekend, Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky host Kennesaw State and Mercer, while the River City teams (Jacksonville and North Florida) welcome FGCU and Stetson to town. ETSU and USC Upstate square off on Saturday in the lone match of the day.
A-Sun Women's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunWSoc):
- With 11 shutouts in conference play over the past two seasons, FGCU is tied for first in the nation for conference shutouts with Marquette and Stephen F. Austin. The Eagles own 18 overall shutouts in the last two seasons - tied for 16th most nationally over that span.
- FGCU’s Ashley Ciesielczyk recorded two assists in the Eagles win vs. Northern Kentucky and in the process pushed her career assist total to 26 - tied for eighth most in A-Sun history. Ciesielczyk needs two more assists to move into a tie for seventh most.
- The Atlantic Sun owns two of the most prolific scorers in the nation this season with ETSU’s Ramey Kerns (13 goals) and FGCU’s Shannen Wacker (10). The duo ranks third and 11th nationally for total goals, respectively.
- Kerns’ 13 goals are tied for the 29th-best total in A-Sun history and are the fifth-most in the A-Sun since the 2005 season.
- In its past 25 A-Sun games, the FGCU defense has allowed only four goals. On the flip side, FGCU’s offense has scored 64 goals in those 23 games. The Eagles are 21-1-3 during that stretch.
- Lipscomb goalkeeper Erin Zerio owns 310 career saves - good for 11th in the A-Sun career record books. Zerio needs 12 more saves to crack the top-10 and pass FAU’s Molly Keating (2000-03) with 321.
- USC Upstate goalkeeper Sarah Plantz has racked up 84 saves this season, which is the most in the A-Sun and ranks sixth in the nation. Lipscomb’s Zerio is also in the top-30 nationally with 70 saves - good for 26th.
- Mercer (5-0-1) remains as the only undefeated A-Sun team at home this season. Last season, Jacksonville (7-0-1) and North Florida (4-0-2) were the only teams to post undefeated home records.
- Northern Kentucky and Kennesaw State are the only teams in the A-Sun to have a losing record at home, but winning marks on the road. The Norse are 0-4 at home and 4-3 in road matches, while Kennesaw State is 2-5-1 at home and 2-0 on the road.
- Through two weeks of A-Sun play, 46 A-Sun women’s soccer student-athletes have started in every contest for their team. FGCU leads the way with nine of the same starters for every contest.
- Jacksonville’s Becca Massip and Mercer’s P.A. Upson are tied for the most career starts amongst active players with 70. With four more starts, the duo will crack the A-Sun career record books for starts in 25th place.
- With Stetson’s 1-1 draw with Lipscomb on Sunday and Jacksonville’s 1-1 tie with North Florida, the Hatters and Dolphins remained in first place for most draws in A-Sun play amongst active teams. The Hatters and Dolphins have 16 ties in their program history for A-Sun play - six more than Mercer in third place.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.