Monday, September 24, 2012
MACON, Ga. – ETSU's Ramey Kerns and FGCU's Brittany Brown claimed the Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Player of the Week honors, announced Monday by the league office.
Kerns becomes the first women's soccer student-athlete since Kennesaw State's Caitlin Dingle in 2007 to win three A-Sun Player of the Week awards in the same season, while Brown was awarded her second Defensive Player honor of her freshman season.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Ramey Kerns, ETSU (F – Jr. – King Mountain, N.C. – Exercise Science)
- Fourth Career Atlantic Sun Player of Week; third this season
- Opened conference play with two goals in 3-1 win vs. Stetson
- Added a goal on a penalty kick in 2-1 loss vs. FGCU
- Leads the A-Sun with 12 goals and 27 points
- Her 12 goals are the most in the A-Sun since 2007
- Marie Weckhurst (D, Jacksonville) - Totaled five points for the Dolphins in two road wins
- Shannen Wacker (F, FGCU) - Had two goals in 2-1 victory at ETSU; leads Eagles in scoring
- Mara Keomanivane (MF, Stetson) - Scored one of two goals in 2-0 win vs. USC Upstate
- Kelsey Zwergel (MF, Northern Kentucky) - Netted goals in first two A-Sun contests; her first two goals of the year
- Michelle Larrinaga (F, North Florida) - Found the back of the net in wins at Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Brittany Brown, FGCU (GK – Fr. – Rochester, N.Y.)
- Second Career Atlantic Sun Player of the Week; second of the season
- Made eight saves in total to earn two wins on the weekend
- Picked up shutout at USC Upstate on three saves; her third shutout of the season
- Added 2-1 win at ETSU, while making five saves
- Emilee Engelhaupt (MF/D, ETSU) - Assisted on goal in 3-1 win vs. Stetson; her first of the season
- Victoria Trocoli (GK, Stetson) - Earned first career shutout with Stetson in 2-0 win vs. USC Upstate
- Stephanie Glass (GK, Northern Kentucky) - Amassed 18 saves in first two A-Sun matches
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.