Wednesday, September 19, 2012
MACON, Ga. - With non-conference play concluded, the first slate of conference contests are set to begin on Friday for the Atlantic Sun women's soccer teams.
ETSU, Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky and USC Upstate all host two contests in the opening weekend, while Kennesaw State welcomes Mercer in a battle between the two "Peach State" teams.
A-Sun Women's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunWSoc):
- Conference play begins on Friday with FGCU looking to win its third-straight regular-season title. Last season, the Eagles tied with ETSU and Jacksonville for the regular-season crown, but went undefeated in 2010 at 8-0-2. Since joining the league in 2007, FGCU leads the A-Sun in conference wins (33), fewest A-Sun losses (9) and most conference ties (8).
- Three teams own unbeaten streaks of three or more in A-Sun openers; FGCU, ETSU and Jacksonville. The Eagles are undefeated in their five A-Sun openers since joining the league in 2007 at 3-0-2, while ETSU is 4-0 since 2008 and have outscored their opening opponent, 9-1. The Dolphins’ 2-0-1 mark is the third longest streak. Mercer is next with two-straight wins in league openers.
- In its past 21 A-Sun games, the FGCU defense has allowed only three goals. On the flip side, FGCU’s offense has scored 52 goals in those 21 games. The Eagles are 17-1-3 during that stretch.
- At the end of non-conference play, 62 A-Sun women’s soccer student-athletes have started in every contest for their team. FGCU and Jacksonville lead the way with nine of the same starters. JU’s Becca Massip is tied with Mercer’s P.A. Upson for the most career starts amongst active players with 67. The duo needs seven more starts to crack the A-Sun career record books for starts in 25th place.
- Stetson has scored 57 goals in conference play over the past three seasons making the Hatters one of three teams with over 50 goals during that span; FGCU - 60, Jacksonville - 50. Last season, ETSU and FGCU tied with 22 goals in conference play.
- The A-Sun finished the non-conference slate with a 35-44-7 (.448) record, which is two more wins than last season. As a whole, the A-Sun posted a .500 or above record against eight conferences including; Big South, Horizon, OVC, Sun Belt and Missouri Valley, among others.
- ETSU’s Ramey Kerns has scored nine goals this season (T-5th in the nation) all of which have come in non-conference play. Her nine non-conference goals are the most in the A-Sun since 2004 when Gardner-Webb’s Leeanna Woodworth scored 11 in non-conference games.
- Lipscomb goalkeeper Erin Zerio added two saves last week to tie for 14th in the A-Sun career record books with 285 career saves. Zerio can move into 13th place with 10 saves or take over 12th with 11 saves. Zerio would pass Campbell’s Jamie Olson (294) and Kennesaw State’s Staci Pugh (295).
- Mercer and ETSU finished non-conference play with six wins. Their non-conference win totals are tied for the most in the A-Sun since 2004.
- ETSU (4-0), Mercer (3-0-1) and Lipscomb (1-0-2) remained undefeated at home after playing on the road last week. As a whole, A-Sun teams are 18-15-5 in home contests in 2012. Kennesaw State (2-0) and FGCU (0-0-1) are the lone undefeated teams in true road games.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.