Wednesday, September 12, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Seventeen women's soccer contests are scheduled for play this week before conference play begins on Friday, September 21st. A-Sun teams face four 2011 NCAA Tournament participants this weekend. Kennesaw State takes on two with Samford on the road on Friday before hosting UT Martin on Sunday. Also on Friday Northern Kentucky hosts Oakland, while North Florida travels to UCF - the eighth-ranked team in the nation.
A-Sun Women's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunWSoc):
- ETSU’s Ramey Kerns, the A-Sun Player of the Week, has scored nine goals this season (T-2nd in the nation) all of which have come in non-conference play. Her nine non-conference goals are the most in the A-Sun since 2004 when Gardner-Webb’s Leeanna Woodworth scored 11 in non-conference games.
- FGCU owns two wins against top-100 RPI teams from 2011 as the Eagles defeated FIU (No. 67) on August 31st and Tulsa (No. 70) this past weekend. FGCU also earned a tie vs. Illinois State (No. 84) on August 26th. FGCU appeared in the NSCAA Southeast Region Poll this week at No. 10 for the first regional ranking in program history.
- ETSU (4-0), Mercer (3-0-1) and Lipscomb (1-0-2) remained undefeated at home after last week’s games. As a whole, A-Sun teams are 16-12-5 in home contests in 2012.
- FGCU’s freshman goalkeeper Brittany Brown, the A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week, ranks second in the league for goals against average at 0.70. Brown, who has appeared in all seven FGCU contests, trails Mercer’s Maggie Cropp (0.33).
- With 17 saves last week in two matches, Lipscomb goalkeeper Erin Zerio took over 15th place in the A-Sun career record books with 283 career saves. Zerio can move into 14th place with three saves vs. Alabama State on Friday to pass Jacksonville’s Alexa Rooney (285) and possibly pass Campbell’s Jamie Olson (294) and Kennesaw State’s Staci Pugh (295).
- The Lady Buccaneers’ six non-conference wins this season are tied for the most in the A-Sun over the past eight seasons with four other teams. Central Florida won eight non-conference matches in 2004.
- With ETSU included four A-Sun teams have already equaled or passed their non-conference win totals from last season. The Lady Bucs’s six victories this season is one more than last year, while FGCU (5 wins) and Lipscomb (2 wins) have matched their 2011 totals. Stetson with two non-conference wins has doubled its total from 2011. Kennesaw State and USC Upstate need only one more out of league win to match last year’s total.
- With five assists on the season, FGCU’s Ashley Ciesielczyk improved her career total to 23, which is three away from moving her into a tie for the eighth-best career mark in A-Sun history.
- Mercer’s Lauren Gassie is second in the A-Sun with five goals. Gassie joins only four other Bears to have scored at least five goals in the past six seasons; Olivia Tucker (4x), Kacie Hudson (2x), Sara Elliot (2010) and Ali Meek (2008).
- After opening its inaugural Division I season with five of their six games on the road, Northern Kentucky has three home contests over the next ten days. Two of the home matches are A-Sun contests against Jacksonville and North Florida.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.