Friday, February 01, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Six of the seven Atlantic Sun Women’s Indoor Track and Field squads will be competing this week as they prepare for the upcoming A-Sun Championship.
Only two weekends of competition remain before teams travel to Johnson City, Tenn. to see how they fair in the conference championship.
A-Sun Women's Track & Field Notes (#ASunTF):
- The Dolphins Joane Pierre’s 4:47.91 mile run time at the Jimmy Carnes Invitational not only ranks No. 1
in the A-Sun this season but ranks No. 5 in the South Region. In the same meet, Pierre led the 800m from
start to finish grabbing gold for the Spartans with a time of 2:13.41.
- Northern Kentucky’s Tyler Thomas earned A-Sun Field Athlete of the week after a third place performance
in the high jump at the SPIRE Midwest Open. Her leap of 1.65 meters marked a Norse record as
well as currently ranking No. 3 in the A-Sun this season.
- USC Upstate’s freshman Dominique Nock jumped over a foot farther than her previous best in the long
jump to win gold at the Niswonger Invitational and break a Spartan school record. Nocks leap of 5.77m is
currently the best in the A-Sun this season.
- The Bisons last meet at the Niswonger Invitational, Dani Walker led the pack from start to finish in the
3000m with a time of 10:12.23 and finished second in the 800m. Walker’s 800m time of 2:11.21 set an LU
indoor school record and was four seconds faster than the previous record.
- The Owl’s Gwen Jones is looking to repeat as the A-Sun Indoor Shot Put Champion and currently holds
the best throw in the A-Sun this season in shot put (13.93m) and weight throw (14.49m). Four of the top
five marks in the weight throw in the league this season belong to KSU athletes.
- UNF’s Brianna Frazier’s time of 54.38 in the 400m at the Florida Gator Invitational ranks as the fourth fastest
time in the South Region according to the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association
(USTFCCCA). Frazier holds the fastest times in the A-Sun this season in the 200m (24.37) and the 400m
(54.38). Last week Frazier broke a school record in the 55m dash with a time of 7.10 at the Jimmy Carnes
Invite to finish third place.
- The Buccaneers have a strong duo in the 500m in Jessica Palmer and Chelsea Clark. Palmer finished second
in the event at the Niswonger Invitational with a time of 19:05.99. Clark currently holds the best time
in the 2013 A-Sun indoor season in the 500m with a time 18:16.61 at the UAB Blazer Indoor Invitational.
- JU has the most top recorded marks in the A-Sun this season with five total followed by the Owls
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.