Friday, January 18, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Stetson and FGCU remain on top of the standings with a perfect 6-0 conference record.
Both teams are at home this weekend in their conference match-ups with ESPN 3 featuring the Hatters vs. Lipsomb in Saturday's contest in DeLand, Florida at 1 PM.
A-Sun Women's Basketball Notes (#ASunWBB):
- Stetson has the eighth longest winning streak in the country with nine wins. With a win vs. Lipscomb the Hatters will tie a school record for longest win streak in program history. The Hatters will also be defending their 12 game home win streak that ranks No.9 in the country.
- The Hatter lead the league in points per game (69.9) and shooting percentage (.445). Four Stetson players rank in the top-15 in the league in shooting percentage; the most of all A-Sun squads.
- Lipscomb has started three to four freshman in all of its conference games this season. Two Bisons rank in the top-five in the A-Sun in three-point field goals per game with Hannah Phillips (1.9) and freshman Presley Stastny (1.9).
- FGCU has won its last 24 conference games, which is one of the longest streaks in the country behind Baylor (27) and Princeton (25). The Eagles have outscored their conference opponents this season by an average of 24 points.
- The Eagles lead the A-Sun in steals (11.3) and assists (15.4) per game with Brittany Kennedy, Sarah Hansen and Joyce Iamstrong ranking in the top-15 in those categories.
- North Florida is hosting Jacksonville in a River City Rumble match-up. The Ospreys are 5-1 vs. the Dolphins in the last three years of conference action and have a 5.8 scoring margin in those games.
- ETSU’s Destiny Mitchell has had the hot hand for the team in its last three games with an average of 10.7 points in those contests. Mitchell is No.3 in the A-Sun in rebounding with 8.5 rebounds per game this season and is just 25 rebounds away from pulling down 600 career rebounds.
- The Buccaneers lead the conference in blocked shots with an average of 4.5 blocks per game.
- Northern Kentucky is the best team in the league at defending the three point shot, holding its opponents to .252 from behind the arc.
- NKU is on a three-game winning streak; its longest streak as a Division I program. The Norse are 6-0 this season when leading at halftime.
- Kennesaw State’s Sametria Gideon is 45 rebounds away from reaching the 1,000 mark. Only eight A-Sun players have achieved 1,000 points and rebounds in their careers. Gideon has nine double-doubles this season which ranks No. 12 in the country and has 28 career double-doubles.
- USC Upstate Tee’Ara Copney is chasing five career A-Sun records and one season A-Sun record. She currently ranks No. 25 all-time in career points with 1,447 points. Copney leads the league this season in free throw percentage at 94.1 percent; the best percentage in a single season in the A-Sun all-time.
- Mercer’s Precious Bridges recorded her fifth and sixth 20+ point performance this season with 22 vs. Jacksonville and 23 vs. North Florida. Bridges ranks No. 3 in the A-Sun in scoring with 16.6 PPG. Teammate Sharnea Boykin leads the conference in assists with 6.2 per game.
- The Bears are on a three game conference win streak at 3-2 in the league. Mercer’s only two losses in conference play have been to undefeated Stetson and FGCU.
- Jacksonville’s Briona Brown is currently the highest scoring freshman in the league with 10.5 point per game.
- In the Dolphins last three conference match-ups they have out-rebounded their opponents by an average of 5.3 rebounds per game. JU pulled down 51 boards against the Hatters; the most in the Dolphins conference games.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.