Friday, January 11, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Stetson and FGCU are on top of the standings with a 4-0 conference record. The Hatters travel to USC Upstate on Saturday, January 12 for a 2 PM tip-off on ESPN 3.
Stetson is 4-2 vs. the Spartans over the last three years of conference action and hold a 3.8 point differential in the match-up.
A-Sun Women's Basketball Notes (#ASunWBB):
- The Stetson/Upstate match-up will be a shoot-out as the Hatters lead the A-Sun in field-goal percentage (43.8), while the Spartans rank No. 2 averaging 41.2 percent.
- Stetson has the tenth longest winning streak in the country with seven wins.
- The Hatters Victoria McGowan scored a career-high 33 points at Kennesaw State and leads the league in scoring (18.1) and three-point percentage (.478). McGowan ranks No. 12 in the country in three-point shooting percentage.
- The Spartans Tee’Ara Copney cracked the top-25 in the A-Sun record books with 1,432 career points. Copney led Upstate in scoring in its last three conference games with a 17.3 average in those games. Copney has only missed two free-throws this season and is shooting .939 from the charity stripe.
- Kennesaw State’s Sametria Gideon leads the league in rebounding with 10.5 per game and averages 11.2 PPG. Gideon is tied at No. 12 in the nation in double-doubles this season with eight.
- Gideon is 55 rebounds away from reaching the 1,000 mark. Only eight A-Sun players have achieved 1,000 points and rebounds in their careers.
- North Florida is 4-2 vs. Kennesaw State in the last three years of conference play with a perfect 3-0 record at home.
- Lipscomb travels to Northern Kentucky for the first contest between the two as Division One programs. Both teams have a freshman with a hot hand with the Bisons Presley Stastny shooting 10.3 PPG in the last three games and the Norse Rianna Gayheart averaging 12 PPG in the last three contests. Gayheart is No. 2 in the A-Sun in three-point shooting percentage at 44.2 percent.
- The Bisons Hannah Phillips is only five points away from hitting the bench mark of 900 career points.
- Northern Kentucky is second in the league in defending the three point shot, holding its opponent to 26.4 percent from behind the arc.
- FGCU has won its last 21 conference games, which is one of the longest streaks in the country behind Stanford (81), Baylor (25) and Princeton (24). The Eagles have held their conference opponents this season to an average 43.8 points with a scoring margin of 21 points.
- FGCU’s Brittany Kennedy leads the league in field goal percentage (.537) and steals per game (3.1). On the season the Eagles average 11.4 steals per game; the most in the A-Sun.
- ETSU leads the league in blocked shots with 4.5 per game and three players ranked in the top-15 in the A-Sun in blocks per game; the most in the league. Tosha Austin ranks No.19 in the A-Sun record book with 112 career blocks and is averaging 1.1 blocks per game this season.
- Jacksonville is the only team in the A-Sun with four players ranked in the top-20 in rebounding. The Dolphins have been dominating on the defensive boards; leading the league with 27.3 per game.
- Mercer’s Sharnea Boykin leads the A-Sun in assists (5.8) and ranks No.2 in the league in minutes played per game (34.7).
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.