Wednesday, December 12, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Atlantic Sun Women’s Basketball has 20 games scheduled over the next seven days as teams get back in action. Over the last week A-Sun squads went 3-3 in non-conference action.
A-Sun Women's Basketball Notes (#ASunWBB):
- Mercer’s Precious Bridges landed her first career Atlantic Sun Player of the week honor after a break-out performance against Georgia Southern where she scored 29 points in the Bears 48-44 road victory. Bridges is currently tied for second in the league in points per game with a 17.1 average.
- Northern Kentucky recorded its first road win as a Division I program in their 69-67 win over Ball State. Freshman Christine Roush led the way for the Norse with her career-high 23 point performance and collected A-Sun Newcomer of the Week; the first basketball player to earn a weekly honor for NKU. She contributed seven three-pointers in the game, just one shy of a program record.
- Lipscomb collected its first win of the 2012-2013 season vs. Jacksonville State. The 67-54 victory marked the first career win for head coach Greg Brown. The Bison won the battle over JSU while starting three freshman. Bison freshmen tallied eleven of the thirteen three point field goals made against the Gamecocks.
- FGCU climbed one spot to the No. 8 position in the CollegeInsider.com Women’s Basketball Mid-Major Top 25 poll. The Eagles have been ranked in the poll every week this season.
- The Eagles currently hold the ninth longest home win streak in the nation with 16 consecutive victories in Alico Arena. FGCU has two road games scheduled at Virginia Tech (12/16) and Richmond(12/19) before this win streak is challenged on December 22 against Central Florida.
FGCU holds a 30.25 scoring margin at home, outscoring its opponents 78.1 to 47.9
- Kennesaw State’s Sametria Gideon is tied for 29th in Division I women’s basketball in double-doubles with four in her eight games this season. Gideon has the most double-doubles of the active A-Sun players with 23 total. Two Owls lead the league in rebounding with Gideon averaging 10.0 per game and teammate Chantel Kennedy second with 9.1 rebounds per game.
- North Florida is hosting the Hampton Inn Oceanfront Holiday Classic next week as they will be taking on Jacksonville State (12/14) and University of Maryland Eastern Shore (12/15). Osprey’s Jadhken Kerr currently needs 11 three-point field goals to crack the top-five in the A-Sun record books.
- Stetson’s Victoria McGowan ranks No. 18 in the nation in three-point shooting percentage at 46.9 percent from behind the arc. McGowan has hit 15 of her 32 three-point attempts this season.
- ETSU is currently No. 27 in the country in rebounding margin, out rebounding its opponents by 9.0 rebounds per game. The Buccaneers game against LSU will be televised on Cox Sports TV on Thursday, December 13th.
- USC Upstate’s Tee’Ara Copney currently ranks No. 35 in the A-Sun record books in scoring with 1,336 career points. Copney needs just three points to reach the No. 34 spot marked by Gergana Branzova of Florida International (94-98) and is only 33 points away from cracking the top-30. The Spartans get back in action on Sunday, December 16th, hosting High Point.
- Jacksonville will play in two home match-ups in the coming week with Savannah State on Sunday, December 16th and Troy on Tuesday, December 18th.