Thursday, November 08, 2012
MACON, Ga. – The 2012-13 Atlantic Sun Women's Basketball season is set to tip-off on Friday, November 9th. Over the next ten days A-Sun schools are slated to play in 32 basketball games total.
A-Sun Women's Basketball Notes (#ASunWBB):
- Seven Atlantic Sun Women’s Basketball Squads begin their 2012-13 season on Friday, November 9th as regular season play tips-off. In the first week of the season A-Sun team will compete against four opponents ranked in the top-25 in the AP and ESPN/USA Today Polls and two teams that are ranked in the College Insider Mid-Major Polls.
- FGCU ranked No. 9 in the College Insider Mid-Major Poll with 444 points received from coaches in Mid-Major conferences; Stetson also received votes. The Eagles, the 2012 A-Sun Tournament Champions, found two student-athletes on the preseason team with the duo of Sarah Hansen and Brittany Kennedy. Hansen led the Eagles in several categories last season including scoring (458), rebounds (203) and steals (64).
- Eagles’ senior, Brittany Kennedy grabbed the most votes for A-Sun Defensive Player Year averaging 2.4 steals per game. She also averaged a 1.7 assist/turnover ratio in the 2011-12 season for FGCU that ranked 42nd in the nation.
- Kennesaw State will take on No. 8 in the College Insider Mid Major Poll, MTSU to start their season and then No. 20 in the AP Poll, Georgia Tech to complete their tough opening week schedule.
- Stetson opens up their season against No. 23 in the mid-major poll, Hofstra after they dominated the preseason coaches poll receiving 98 points and eight first-place votes. The Hatters’ Victoria McGowan, the 2012 A-Sun Player of the Year, picked up the Preseason Player of the Year honors.
- Northern Kentucky will begin their inaugural division one season against the Cincinnati Bearcats on Friday, November 9th. The Norse have hold and 8-7 record in their series against Cincinnati. Senior, Ellen Holton joins the Norse as one of the top-20 returning scorers in the A-Sun.
- North Florida was voted third in the A-Sun Preseason Coaches Poll and will play No. 23 in the AP Polls, Miami FL on November 9th to start their season off.
- Preseason All-Conference member, Tee’ara Copney will lead USC Upstate in their opening game against 18th ranked Purdue on November 10th. Copney is highly decorated in the A-Sun, cracking the top-25 in conference history in free throw percentage (.886), 3-point field goals (154), 3-point attempts (484) and steals (207).
- ETSU has two exhibition victories over Carson Newman and Young Harris as they look to open up their regular season against High Point and Chattanooga in the opening week. The Buccaneers junior Destiny Mitchell, a 2012 second team all-conference member, pulled down a career high 20 rebounds against the Eagles last year and has tallied 482 career rebounds.
- Jacksonville’s Junior, Jade Cargill was placed on the A-Sun Preseason All-Conference squad and had a strong performance in the Dolphins’ exhibition match against Columbus State. Cargill scored 14 of her 22 points in the second half and had 15 rebounds for the Dolphins.
- Lipscomb will play a local SEC foe, Vanderbilt who ranks 16th in the ESPN/USA Today Poll. The Bisons will take on the Commodores on their home court at Allen Arena.
- The Mercer Bears had a young squad last year but look to bounce back with the help of senior Ry’van Buchanan who made the A-Sun Preseason All-Conference selection. The Bear’s will take on tough opponent Notre Dame later in the season in South Bend, Ind.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.