Monday, October 15, 2012
MACON, Ga. – Jill Hopper averaged 4.18 kills per set, hit .327 and helped the Eagles defeat Lipscomb and NKU to remain the lone undefeated team in A-Sun play last week to earn the A-Sun Volleyball Player of the Week honors.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Jill Hopper, Florida Gulf Coast (Sophomore – Outside Hitter – Muncie, Ind. – Biology)
• Led FGCU to a 3-0 record last week
• Led the Eagles to a 3-0 sweep at three-time defending champion Lipscomb, handing the Bisons their first home loss in A-Sun play since 2008
• Helped the Eagles to their 10th consecutive win (ninth straight Atlantic Sun Conference match)
• Recorded 46 kills and 28 digs, averaged 4.18 kills per set and posted a hitting pct. of .327 for the week
• Posted a double-double of 17 kills and 15 digs against Bethune-Cookman
• Second career Player of the Week honor
• Megan Devine, ETSU – Helped guide the Bucs to a perfect 3-0 week over A-Sun competition…Recorded two double-doubles, moving her season total to a conference-leading 14…Registered her first career 20-20 game with 21kills and a career high 26 digs in the 3-1 win over Mercer
• Jenna Schreiver, Northern Kentucky – Averaged almost 13 assists per set in the weekend split...Posted a double-double of 39 assists and 10 digs in a 3-0 win over Stetson... Tallied 51 assists and nine digs in the loss to FGCU
• Caroline Carlton, Mercer – Piled up 30 kills in two matches with a .350 hitting percentage to help the Bears to a 1-1 record
• Kayla McAvoy, USC Upstate – Helped the Spartans to a 2-1 record in A-Sun play...Led Upstate to a 3-0 win against KSU Tuesday with a match-high 15 kills, including a contest-best .560 attack percentage...Tallied 13 kills against UNF Friday and nine against JU Saturday for a total of 37 on the week...Averaged 3.36 kills per set this week with a .295 hitting percentage.
• Jewell Dobson, Lipscomb – Led the team with 25 kills and 4.17 kills per set in two matches. Dobson had a .357 hitting percentage, including a .636 hitting percentage against Stetson, which ranks fourth all-time at Lipscomb for a player with at least 12 kills in a match...Tied the team lead with 11 kills against Florida Gulf Coast and was second on the team with 14 kills against Stetson.
• Baylee Strachan, Kennesaw State – Hit .317 for the week with 19 kills...Had 13 kills in the five setter against Mercer on Saturday after hitting .417 at Upstate on Tuesday
• Caolyn Jenkins, North Florida – Led UNF in kills during the week, incuding a career-high tying 19 kills in the 3-2 win against USC Upstate...final two kills against USC Upstate were the last two points in the fifth set that gave UNF the win...added a match-high 17 kills at ETSU
The Atlantic Sun Conference is an NCAA Division I league with 10 member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The A-Sun meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement with a true balance between student and athlete. Headquartered in Macon, Ga., the A-Sun boasts six of the top eight media markets in the Southeast. The A-Sun includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: East Tennessee State University, Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Lipscomb University, Mercer University, University of North Florida, Northern Kentucky University, University of South Carolina Upstate and Stetson University.