Friday, October 07, 2011
• Lipscomb defeated Belmont on Thursday night in a battle of two undefeated A-Sun teams in a thrilling five-set match. The conference win extended Lipscomb's conference win streak to 40 games - the third-longest in the nation. It was also only the third time during the winning streak that Lady Bisons has been stretched to five sets in regular season conference play.
• In that match, Lipscomb's Katie Rose recorded 20 kills, 19 digs and three total blocks. The defending A-Sun Player of the Week, ranks in the top-10 of four major statistical categories amongst active players; kills (610; 8th), digs (929; 6th), blocks (152; 8th) and service aces (58; 10th). Rose is the only player in the A-Sun to appear in all four categories.
• Kennesaw State, the 2010 A-Sun Regular Season Runner-up, went on the road last weekend with a 0-2 conference record, but returned to the Peach State with a .500 record after picking up wins at Jacksonville and North Florida. It marked the first time since joining the A-Sun that the Owls have competed the River City sweep.
A-Sun Active Career Kills Leaders
||Maggie Johnson (Belmont)
||Paige Pridgeon (North Florida)
||Morgan Thomas (USC Upstate)
||Amiee Frutchey (Mercer)
||Kaycee Green (Lipscomb)
||Kelsie Queen (USC Upstate)
||Kathryn Kane (Jacksonville)
||Katie Rose (Lipscomb)
||Megan Devine (ETSU)
• Belmont's Maggie Johnson and Jacksonville's Kendall Courtney are in a tight race this season for the most double-doubles. Johnson currently holds the lead with 13 on the year, while Courtney trails by one with 12. Courtney has a chance to take the conference lead in the category as the Dolphins have two matches this weekend, while the Bruins' next match is Friday, October 14th. North Florida's Paige Pridgeon (9) ranks third, while Belmont's Jen Myer (7) and Kennesaw State's Alyssa Lang (7) complete the top-five.
• A-Sun Record Book Chasing:
2 - service aces that Belmont's Jen Myer needs to 4th most aces in a single season
7 - kills that Belmont's Maggie Johnson needs for third in career kills
15 - kills that North Florida's Paige Pridgeon needs for 1,000 career kills
20 - service aces that Belmont's Jen Myer needs to tie 10th in career aces
46 - assists that USC Upstate's Morgan Thomas needs for 2,000 career assists
50 - blocks that USC Upstate's Morgan Thomas needs for 10th in career blocks
52 - digs that Mercer's Charlotte Harris needs for 12th in career digs
53 - blocks that ETSU's Jamie Stancliff needs for 10th in career blocks
• This weekend, Mercer and Kennesaw host Stetson and FGCU, while Jacksonville and North Florida travel to ETSU and USC Upstate. FGCU joins Lipscomb as the two remaining undefeated teams in conference play.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.