Saturday, April 27, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Seven Atlantic Sun Softball squads remain in the top-100 in RPI in the country. USC Upstate boasts the best RPI at 39, while FGCU also cracks the top-50 at 46 respectively.
It is a close race as the final games of conference play wait to be played out.
Several teams are in contention to make the A-Sun Championship as we enter the last couple weeks of play.
A-Sun Softball Weekly Notes (#ASunSB):
- North Florida and Jacksonville square off for the River City Rumble this weekend. This series could be crucial in both team’s race for a spot in the A-Sun Championship.
- UNF’s Kaylee Wallace leads the league’s pitchers in ERA (1.57). Three of the Ospreys pitchers are ranked in the top-ten in the league in ERA.
- Jacksonville is 1-6 vs. North Florida over the last three years as the Dolphins have taken the last four games between the rivals.
- Lipscomb is hosting Stetson in the Bisons last home series before they host the A-Sun Championship. LU is 4-3 vs. the Hatters in the last three seasons. The Bisons go into this series having won ten of their last 14 games.
- Stetson enter the weekend with 39 home runs, just one shy of the school-record of 40 set in 2004. Both Chelsea Whalley and Meredith Owen have hit a grand slam this season for the Hatters.
- The Spartans leads the nation in fielding percentage (.983). Upstate lead the league in several statistical categories including batting average (.333), slugging percentage (.520) and runs scored (294).
- Led by McKenzie Woody with 80 hits this season, Mercer has collected the most hits in the league with 412 total.
- Kennesaw State defeated ACC foe Georgia Tech, a 2012 NCAA Tournament team, in a midweek game. The A-Sun now currently has 22 wins vs. NCAA Tournament teams from last year.
- ETSU’s offensive leader is sophomore Nicole Fox who is hitting .340 with other team-highs in runs (24), hits (54) and stolen bases (16). Fox is the lone Buccaneer with a batting average above .300 and ranks 13th in the Atlantic Sun.
- FGCU looks to close the season as they host Northern Kentucky in the weekend series. The Eagles’ Chelsea Zgrabik is No. 6 in the country in RBIs with an average of 1.27 RBIs per game.
- NKU’s Dee Dee Davis saw her 13-game hitting streak come on an end after an 0-for-3 performance in Game 1 of Tuesday’s doubleheader at Eastern Kentucky. Davis rebounded in the second game of the series with an RBI double and has now hit in 14 of her last 15 games.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.