Friday, April 05, 2013
MACON, Ga. - This week in Atlantic Sun Softball, USC Upstate is on top of the standings with 29 wins. Jacksonville and North Florida follow with 27 wins each.
The A-Sun is one of five conferences with three or more teams that have 25+ wins in the season.
Upstate is receiving votes in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll and the ESPN/USA Softball Top 25 Poll and are on the verge of cracking the top-25 as they look to add on to their eight game winning streak as they host Stetson this weekend.
A-Sun Softball Weekly Notes (#ASunSB):
- Six A-Sun teams are ranked in the top-75 in RPI with the Spartans boasting the highest rank at No. 37 respectively. Following the Spartans is Jacksonville (42), Kennesaw State (51), Lipscomb (59), North Florida (71) and FGCU (75). Only four conferences have six or more teams ranked in the top-75 in RPI with the Big Ten claiming eight, Pac-12 with eight and the SEC with 13 total.
- The Spartans are ranked in the top-ten in the country in six statistical categories; batting average (No. 4, .354), win/loss percentage (No. 5, .903), slugging percentage (No 7, .544), scoring (No. 8, 7.06), fielding percentage (No. 9, .978) and doubles per game (No. 9, 1.81).
- Stetson will be traveling to Cyril Stadium this week to take on the Spartans. The Hatters defeated Upstate twice last season in Spartanburg with one of their wins coming in the A-Sun Championship. Courtney Brandt was the pitcher on record for both of the Hatters victories vs. the Spartans last season. This year, Brandt has collected seven wins and holds her opponents to a .243 batting average.
- Jacksonville’s Karson Tuck has had a hot bat with ten hits in the Dolphins last five games. Tuck has 125 career hits which is tied at No. 7 out of the A-Sun’s active career players.
- The Dolphins’ Cecile Gomez owns the best ERA in league play (.85). Gomez has collected three wins in the circle against A-Sun teams to hold a perfect 3-0 record.
- Northern Kentucky’s Emily Schwaeble has the most strikeouts in league play with 52 and ranks No. 2 in the A-Sun for the overall season with 96 total strikeouts. Schwaeble led the Norse to their first conference win in the A-Sun as they defeated Stetson 3-1 last week. In NKU’s victory Schwaeble allowed only two hits and struck out 14 batters.
- North Florida has only allowed four home runs this season; the best in the A-Sun by ten home runs.
- Kennesaw State travels to UNF for a weekend series as the Owls are undefeated (6-0) vs. the Ospreys in the last three seasons. KSU’s Abbey Mixon collected three of those wins in the circle for the Owls. Mixon leads all active players with 456 career strikeouts.
- FGCU is ranked seventh in the nation in triples per game (.36). The Eagles have three players this season with three triples; the most in the A-Sun.
- Last season the Eagles swept Mercer with a 9-1 and a 10-2 victory at home. FGCU returns both pitchers from the series with Amanda Josie and Shelby Morgan.
- Mercer’s McKenzie Woody leads the league in batting average (.460) and hits (64). Woody’s career batting average of .397 currently ranks fifth all-time in the A-Sun record books. As a junior, Woody is also the active career leader in hits as she collected her 200th career hit last week.
- In conference play, Lipscomb’s Kristen Sturdivant holds the best batting average in the league at .517 and has added four home runs for the Bisons. Sturdivant has a slugging percentage of 1.000 in conference action.
- ETSU’s sophomore Nicole Fox has tallied 41 hits this season; tied at No. 3 in the A-Sun. In league play Fox is averaging 1.55 hits per game and has a batting average of .395 for the Buccaneers.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.