Friday, February 22, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Two weeks into the softball season the Atlantic Sun has already claimed nine wins over 2012 NCAA Tournament teams.
Stetson will look to grab the A-Sun’s tenth victory with a game vs. Bethune-Cookman on Friday, February 22nd.
A-Sun Softball Weekly Notes (#ASunSB):
- Mercer scored three runs in the top of the seventh to hold off ACC foe Georgia Tech 10-9 on Thursday night. Against the Yellow Jackets, the Bears Rachel Hugghins tallied three runs batted in with three at bats.
- The Bears have a triple threat on offense with Randi Rea leading the league in runs scored (14), McKenzie Woody in hits (19) and Molly Garmany in runs batted in (12).
- USC Upstate remains the only unbeaten team in the league at 8-0. Upstate leads the conference in batting average (.399) and earned run average (.58).
- The Spartans Anna Miller tossed a no-hitter to lead USC Upstate to an 8-0 victory over George Mason. Miller struck out seven en route to becoming the fifth different Spartan to throw a no-hitter in the history of the program.
- Kennesaw State has the two top pitchers in the league in terms of strike outs with Amanda Henderson (52) and Abbey Mixon (29). In the first two weeks of the season, Henderson has been named the A-Sun Pitcher of the Week twice. In eight appearances this season, Henderson has tallied 52 strike outs and just a .52 earned run average.
- FGCU drew a record crowd of 1,109 people as they took on No. 1 Alabama. The Eagles fell to the top team in the country by just one run. FGCU bounced back with wins over Southern Illinois (6-0) and Appalachian State (6-3).
- The Eagles are set to host another tournament this week with Albany, Michigan State, Minnesota, St. Bonaventure and Villanova.
- ETSU’s Jackie Baird had a strong week for the Buccaneers going 11-for-17 at the plate to collect a weekend batting average of .647 at the College of Charleston Classic. Baird leads the Buccaneers this season with a batting average of .577; third in the A-Sun. Baird’s performance earned her A-Sun Player of the Week honors; the first weekly award for ETSU since 2009.
- Jacksonville has two freshmen pitchers that have been strong in the circle with Cecile Gomez and Victoria Brown. The two have combined for 38 strike outs and rank No. 5 and No.6 in the league in earned run average (Gomez, .72; Brown .91).
- North Florida will play in the FAU “Strike Out Cancer” Tournament this weekend with FAU, Connecticut, Providence, Northern Illinois and Towson. The Ospreys Kaylie Wallace has posted four wins in seven appearances in the circle; No. 2 in the league.
- Stetson’s freshman Brittany Hawn has recorded five stolen bases in just seven attempts this season; No. 2 in the A-Sun.
- Lipscomb’s freshman Tanner Sanders has put out 27 batters for the Bisons this season; No. 4 in the league. In 15 of her 27 strikeout the batter struck out looking.
- Northern Kentucky’s freshman shortstop Alexis VanHorn has made a quick start in contributing to the Norse offense. VanHorn wrote her name in the history books, scoring the first run in NKU’s Division I history and currently leads the team with three runs scored and a pair of doubles.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.