Wednesday, April 24, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Lipscomb's Tucker Peabody and USC Upstate's Kenny Sugishita grabbed Atlantic Sun Track and Field Weekly Honors as announced by the conference on Wednesday.
Peabody crushed the school record in the 200m and won the event at the Vanderbilt Invite, while Kenny Sugishita took top honors in the men's hammer throw (60.34m) last weekend at the Charlotte Invitational.
TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Tucker Peabody, Lipscomb
(Jr. – Sprints – Memphis, Tenn. – Biology)
- Fourth Career Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week award; third this season
- Crushed the school record in winning the 200-meter dash and improved to the 10th best time in the nation
- Won the event at the Vanderbilt Invite in 20.69 seconds which also improved his A-Sun best time
- Claimed gold at Vanderbilt in the 100-meter dash in 10.63 seconds
FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Kenny Sugishita, USC Upstate
- Brendan Chwalek (Sr., Northern Kentucky) – set a personal best in the 5000 meter with a time of 14:57.80.
- Cameron Thomas (Sr., USC Upstate) – earned a second-place finish in the men's 800-meter last weekend at the Charlotte Invitational with a school record time of 1:50.57
- Ryan Burrus (Sr., Kennesaw State) – Ran a season best 9:18.56 for a 10th place finish in the 3000m steeplechase
(Sr. – Throws – Arroyo Grande, Calif. – Accounting)
- Fourth Career Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week award
- Took top honors in the men's hammer throw last weekend at the Charlotte Invitational (60.34m)
- Reset his school record in the event
- Earned second-place in the men's discus at the Charlotte Invite with a hurl of 49.14-meters (161-03)
- Martynas Sedys (Fr., Kennesaw State) – Turned in top collegiate mark (60.15m) in the hammer throw at the Beach Invitational
- Jason Zavislak (Fr., Northern Kentucky) – Set school records in javelin (49.96m) and long jump (7.03m) at the Bluegrass Classic
- Gemikal Prude (Fr., Lipscomb) – Finished second at the Vanderbilt Invite in the high jump (2.12m)
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.