Wednesday, October 02, 2013
MACON, Ga. – With 70 non-conference matches now in the books, Atlantic Sun Men’s Soccer league play begins with seven league contests this weekend starting with four on Friday.
North Florida, Northern Kentucky and Lipscomb enter with .500 records or better out-of-conference, while five teams enter on unbeaten streaks. FGCU looks for its fourth-straight A-Sun Regular-Season title as the Eagles have posted a 22-2-1 record in conference play over the past three years.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- Northern Kentucky ran its unbeaten streak to five matches with a 0-0 tie vs. Bowling Green on Sunday. The streak is the longest in the A-Sun currently and longest for NKU since a 20-match unbeaten streak that stretched from 2010 to 2011 as a Division II squad.
- North Florida is receiving votes in the NSCAA South Region poll this week. The Ospreys sit at 4-2-1 this season and open conference play with ETSU on Friday.
- ETSU's Ryan Coulter added another shutout to his career tally with a 0-0 tie at Radford. Coulter now owns 20 career shutouts, which ranks third-most in A-Sun history. His next shutout will tie Campbell's Aaron Johnson (2005-08) for second.
- FGCU is trying to become the first team in conference history to claim four-straight outright regular-season league titles. The Eagles won last year with a 6-1-1 record, while posting a 7-1-0 mark in 2011 and a perfect 9-0-0 record in 2010.
- USC Upstate should be well rested for its match vs. Mercer as the Spartans last played on Sept. 24th; a 10-day break in between contests.
- Mercer's junior goalkeeper, Greg Ranjitsingh has 204 career saves for most among active A-Sun players. Ranjitsingh needs 15 saves to tie former Hatter keeper, Derek Alexander (1993-96), for 23rd most saves in A-Sun history.
- Lipscomb's Omar Djabi and FGCU's Felipe DeSousa are tied for the league lead in goals with five. Djabi holds the slim lead in points with 12 compared to DeSousa's 11.
- In A-Sun play last season, Jacksonville's Matheus Saroli and Mercer's Ehjayson Henry were the top point producers as the duo both tallied five goals and two assists just ahead of ETSU's David Geno (4G, 3A).
- DeSousa and Northern Kentucky's Craig Heard led the league with three game-winning goals in league play last season. DeSousa, the A-Sun Player of the Week, recently moved into the top-five for career points among active player. Check out below how he stacks up against other active A-Sun student-athletes.
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Offensive Stats
| David Geno, ETSU (23)
|| Joey Heavner, Mercer (18)
|| David Geno, ETSU (62)
| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (14)
|| David Geno, ETSU (16)
|| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (34)
| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (12)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (11)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (32)
| Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (12)
|| Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (10)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (28)
| Dave Musambi, USC Upstate (10)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (10)
|| Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (26)
| Ryan King, Mercer (9)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (8)
|| I. Fubara, ETSU / D. Musambi, USC Upstate (25)
- Stetson, FGCU, Mercer and North Florida all host conference openers on Friday. Last year, home teams held only a slight advantage in A-Sun play with an 18-15-3 record.
- Six matches are scheduled to be shown on ASun.TV this week as Stetson hosts NKU, FGCU welcomes Lipscomb and Mercer goes against USC Upstate on Friday. On Saturday, Jacksonville faces Davidson at home, while Stetson and the Eagles conclude the weekend on ASun.TV with two home matches.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.