Tuesday, November 06, 2012
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The 2012 Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Championship begins on Wednesday with two first round matches pitting ETSU up against Jacksonville and USC Upstate squaring off with Lipscomb. The matches are scheduled for 4 and 7 p.m. at the FGCU Soccer Complex.
Both matches can be viewed for free on ASun.TV. The winner of the ETSU/Jacksonville match will face No. 2 seeded Mercer on Friday at 4 p.m., while the Lipscomb/USC Upstate victor takes on top-seeded FGCU at 7 p.m. on the same day.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- In the past four championships, either the five seed or six seed have pulled an upset in the first round of play and advanced to the semifinals. The six seed has defeated the three seed in the past two tournaments, while the five defeated the four in 2008 and 2009.
- At least two goals have been scored in each of the last eight first round matches.
- Under the current format, a team playing in the first round has claimed only one tournament title (Campbell; 2007). In the 12 previous tournament with the same format, the top-two seeds have won 11 of the titles.
- ETSU’s David Geno’s 29 points are the most in the A-Sun since Lipscomb’s Miguel DaSilva tallied the same amount in the 2008 season with nine goals and 11 assists. Jacksonville’s Anton Axelsson recorded 36 points in 2007.
- Jacksonville’s Matheus Saroli is tied with Mercer’s Ehjayson Henry for the most points in conference play as both have totaled 12 points on five goals and two assists just ahead of Geno with 11 points.
- ETSU has appeared in the past two A-Sun title games and past three semifinals. The last team to appear in three straight tournament finals was UCF from 2002-04. The last team with four straight semifinal appearances was Campbell with five from 2005-09.
- Jacksonville’s goalkeeper Gavin Carlin leads the league in saves with 86 this year, which is the third-most saves in the past three seasons. With five saves vs. ETSU, Carlin will own the most saves in the past three seasons.
- Lipscomb’s Ethan Summers continues to move up in the A-Sun record books with every match he starts as his 73 career starts is tied for seventh most in A-Sun history. Mercer’s Will Betts is just behind him with 72 career starts tied for ninth-best.
- The Bisons have played in five-straight overtime matches to set a program record. Lipscomb is 2-2-1 during the overtime stretch with three matches reaching the second overtime period.
- USC Upstate is making its first appearance in the A-Sun Championship after earning the four seed in the tournament.
- The Spartans tied the program record for conference wins with three, which was set in 2007, and totaled a program-high 10 points in league play.
- For the first time since turning Division I, USC Upstate has outscored its opponents this season with 18 goals scored compared to only 17 goals conceded. Last season, the Spartans had a -5 scoring margin, which improved from the -22 margin in 2010.
- With Stetson missing the A-Sun Championship for the first time since 1997, Lipscomb now owns the longest streak for consecutive tournament appearances at six. Mercer is next with five followed by ETSU at four.
- FGCU owns the longest home unbeaten streak in A-Sun play at 19 matches dating back to Oct. 31, 2008. During that span, FGCU has outscored its opponents, 49-8, and posted a 18-0-1 record.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.