Thursday, October 25, 2012
MACON, Ga. - With only 13 matches left in the Atlantic Sun men's soccer slate, Mercer and ETSU are tied with 12 points atop the A-Sun standings, but only three points separates first from fifth place with USC Upstate sitting at nine points in fifth.
FGCU and Northern Kentucky sit it in a tie for third place with 10 points.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- On Thursday, Mercer hosts its Coaches vs. Cancer contest with Northern Kentucky in town. Also hosting the event this week is Stetson and USC Upstate with North Florida and Mercer coming into town. All nine A-Sun teams have banded together to raise awareness and money for cancer research. Last season, A-Sun teams raised 6,000 dollars for the American Cancer Society. This marks the third-straight season that A-Sun teams have participated in the event.
- FGCU’s Felipe DeSousa, the A-Sun Player of the Week, leads the Eagles in goals (5) and points (11). The freshman forward has scored in the last two matches including two goals in the 3-2 overtime win at Jacksonville.
- The Eagles own the longest home unbeaten streak in A-Sun play at 17 matches dating back to Oct. 31, 2008. During that span, FGCU has outscored its opponents, 47-8, and posted a 16-0-1 record.
- ETSU’s David Geno is one of the nation’s top goal scorers as the junior forward ranks fifth nationally for total points (29) and eighth in goals with 11. The Kingsport, Tenn. native has scored in the last five matches and posted a point in 11 of ETSU’s 15 matches this season.
- Geno’s 29 points are the most in the A-Sun since Lipscomb’s Miguel DaSilva tallied the same amount in the 2008 season with nine goals and 11 assists. Jacksonville’s Anton Axelsson recorded 36 points in 2007.
- Three A-Sun goalkeepers are etching their names into the A-Sun career record books as Mercer’s Greg Ranjitsingh, ETSU’s Ryan Coulter and Stetson’s Andreas Schnabl continue to record shutouts. Ranjitsingh’s 14 career shutouts is tied for sixth best in league history ahead of Coulter (13; 8th) and Schnabl (12; t9th).
- Lipscomb’s Ethan Summers continues to move up in the A-Sun record books with every match he starts as his 70 career starts is tied for 12th most. Mercer’s Will Betts is just behind him with 69 career starts tied for 15th-best. With two starts this weekend, Summers will move into eighth place.
- Jacksonville owns two of the A-Sun’s top-point producers with Matheus Saroli (2nd; 13) and Nick Rodriguez (T3rd; 12).
- USC Upstate has a chance to have a top-five A-Sun point producer as Dave Musambi is tied for third with 12 points. The Spartans haven’t had a student-athlete finish in the top-five of points since joining the conference.
- Winning on the road in conference play is very difficult considering seven teams own a .500 or better on their home turf over the past three seasons in A-Sun play. FGCU (11-0) and ETSU (9-2-1) lead the way with Stetson (7-2-1) and Mercer (7-2-1) just behind them.
- Northern Kentucky continues its recent surge of success and sits at 3-1-1 in league play. The Norse are 6-2-1 in their last nine matches and are undefeated at home this season at 2-0-1.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.