Thursday, September 27, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Three A-Sun teams face 2011 NCAA Tournament squads over the next three days as ETSU travels to No. 21 Furman on Thursday, Northern Kentucky is at Bradley on Saturday and North Florida hosts UCF on Saturday. The A-Sun has picked up four wins and two ties so far against last year’s tournament teams.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- Only six matches are scheduled for play over the next week as teams prepare for conference play. FGCU, USC Upstate and Stetson don’t play at all this week.
- After opening its first Division I season with six losses, Northern Kentucky is on a two-match win streak with victories against Belmont (2-1) and Western Illinois (1-0). The Norse’s winning streak is the longest current in the A-Sun.
- Mercer and ETSU play the second conference match of the season on Sunday with a contest in Johnson City. Neither team has won on the road in the series as Mercer holds a 2-0 record at Bear Field vs. the Bucs, while ETSU is 1-0-1 at Summer-Taylor Stadium against Mercer.
- Lipscomb squares off in the “Battle of the Boulevard” with Belmont on Thursday. The Bisons are undefeated against the Bruins in the past seven matchups with a 5-0-2 record. Lipscomb has outscored Belmont, 13-4, during the unbeaten streak.
- For the fourth-straight week, FGCU appeared in the NSCAA South Region Rankings. The Eagles dropped one spot from a tie for fifth to sixth.
- Mercer’s sophomore goalkeeper, Greg Ranjitsingh picked up his 12th career shutout in a 4-0 win vs. UNC Asheville on Wednesday. Ranjitsingh now sits in a tie for seventh most career shutouts in A-Sun history. He needs two more to move into a tie for sixth with former Bear Ron Keller (1981-84).
- Stetson’s Jonathan Mendoza, the 2011 A-Sun Player of the Year, finally got on the points board with a goal and an assist in a 2-1 win vs. FAU on Wednesday. Mendoza leads all active players in career points (56), assists (20) and game-winning goals (8). He is also tied for most career goals (18) with ETSU’s David Geno.
- Jacksonville’s Matheus Saroli and Northern Kentucky’s Kevin Walker shared the A-Sun Player of the Week honors after both registered game-winning goals for their respective squads. It was the first split award since last season when Stetson’s Mendoza and ETSU’s Alesi Osorio both earned the weekly award on September 6th.
- The Hatters’ Luis Ocejo joined FGCU’s Deion Jones as nominees for the Senior CLASS Award, announced on Tuesday. Ocejo sports a 3.8 GPA as a Finance major, while Jones holds a 3.42 GPA as a Biology and Environmental Studies major. Last season, FGCU goalkeeper Adam Glick was named a First Team Senior CLASS Member.
- Two A-Sun teams are undefeated at home this season; ETSU (3-0) and Mercer (3-0). Northern Kentucky has not yet played at home as the Norse’s first home match is Oct. 4th vs. FGCU. As a whole, A-Sun teams are 14-12-1 at home.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.