Friday, February 08, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Atlantic Sun Men’s Indoor Track and Field squads enter their last weekend of competition before they will all gather in Johnson City, Tenn. for the 2013 A-Sun Championship on February 22nd.
Kennesaw State currently ranks the highest of the A-Sun Men’s squads at No.14 in the South Region of the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Poll.
A-Sun Men's Track & Field Notes (#ASunTF):
- The Owl’s Sadio Diallo set the school record in the 200m with a time of 21.45 to win first place at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational. The time set the New Balance Collegiate Invitational 200m record. Diallo also took home first place in the 60m dash with a time of 6.91 to earn him A-Sun Track Athlete of the Week.
- The Buccaneer’s Ifrish Alberg will be competing in the 60 meter dash at the Tiger Paw Invitational in Clemson, S.C. Alberg ranks No. 1 in the A-Sun with a season-best time of 6.82 in the 60 meters. The Bucs also hold top-marks in the mile and the 3,000m held by Filip Jalovy. Jalovy has earned weekly honors two times this week with his winning performances in the 3,000m (8:35.07) at UAB Blazer Indoor Invitational the and the mile (4:10.14) at the Hilton Garden Invite.
- Lipscomb’s Gemikal Prude broke a LU school record in the high jump that dated back to 1977. Prude’s leap of 2.08 is tied for No. 2 in the A-Sun this season and earned him this week’s A-Sun Weekly Field Athlete honors. The Bisons men’s squad walked away with top-honors at the TSU Invite with 170 meet points.
- The Osprey’s David Shepherd holds the best pole vault this season in the league with a height of 4.90m vaulted at the Florida Gator Invite.
- NKU’s distance medley relay team had a stand out performance at the Cedarville Invitational. Tyler Mowrey, J.J. Webber, Brendan Chwalek, and Zac Holtkamp led the Norse in the rare relay appearance for the squad. They placed second, running a 3:42.47. Mowrey was the most experienced runner in the 4X4, having just ran the event last weekend at the SPIRE Midwest Open.
- USC Upstate’s Gilbert Kemboi ran a season best time in the 5,000m with a time of 14:39.31 at the Niswonger Invitational. Kemboi’s time is the best time in the 2013 A-Sun season by more than 11 seconds. Kemboi set a school record in the men’s 3,000-meter last week at Notre Dame’s Meyo Invitational with a time of 8:20.05.
- KSU has the most top recorded marks in the A-Sun this season with five total followed by ETSU, UNF and USC Upstate with three.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.