Wednesday, January 23, 2013
MACON, Ga. - ETSU's Filip Jalovy and Kennesaw State's Andre Dorsey turned in strong performances at the Niswonger Invitational to earn Atlantic Sun Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week Honors.
Jalovy captured his second consecutive weekly award with two first-place finishes, while Dorsey landed in the national rankings in the triple jump.
TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Filip Jalovy, ETSU
(So. – Track – Czech Republic – Sports Management)
- Second Career Indoor Track Athlete of the Week award; second this season
- Won both of his races at the Niswonger Invitational
- Crossed the line in the 800m in 1:54.66 to take the first gold of the meet
- Finished the mile in 4:14.98 to get his second win of the meet
- Ranks No. 1 in the A-Sun in the mile, and No. 3 in the 800m
FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Andre Dorsey, Kennesaw State
- Gilbert Kemboi (Sr., USC Upstate) – Posted a first-place time of 14:39.31 in the 5000 meters
- Tucker Peabody (Jr., Lipscomb) – Defended his Niswonger 200m title by beating Olympian Mateo Mitchell
(So. – Jumps – Chalmette, La. – Forensic Chemistry)
- First Career Indoor Field Athlete of the Week award
- Dominated the triple jump with a first place jump of 15.68m
- Currently ranks No. 3 in the nation in the event
- Finished as the runner-up in the high jump at 2.03m
- Gemikal Prude (So., Lipscomb) – Jumped a season-best 2.03 meters to finish second in high jump
- Tyler Stepp (Jr., ETSU) – Earned first place in the high jump with a height of 2.08m
- Kenny Sugishita (Sr., USC Upstate) – Claimed second-place in the shot put at the Niswonger Invitational
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.